Replacing the windshield is not difficult.
Having your windshield damaged on your Harley-Davidson Deluxe Soft Tail is a serious problem. It reduces visibility, can net you a hefty fine and makes your bike look less than its best. While in cars replacing the windshield is a serious task best left to professionals, assembling your new windshield on your Harley-Davidson Deluxe Soft Tail is well within the skill set of most novice do-it-yourself mechanics.
1. Grasp the damaged windshield on each side. Firmly pull it forward then up to disengage it from the bushing grooves and remove it.
2. Remove the four screws holding the front and back trim pieces in place. Disregard the washers, bushings, and screws.
3. Put the protective adhesive tape from your kit along the back edges of the trim.
4. Put a flat washer, a bushing and a thick washer onto two mushroom screws. Put one mushroom screw into the top holes of the front and back trim pieces. Do not tighten them down; just place them in the holes.
5. Put a flat washer, a bushing and a thick washer onto two button screws. Put one button screw from the into the bottom holes of the front and back trim pieces. Make sure they are tightened all the way.
6. Push the bottom of the new windshield into the grooves on the front fork assembly, making sure it’s secure in the bushings. Push the top of the windshield into the top bushings.
7. Check to make sure the windshield is secure in all four bushings by pressing on it by hand. Tighten down the upper screws.