Use MAP to purchase a vehicle on deployment.
As a member of the military, you often get special purchase rates and discounts unavailable to the general public. One advantage is MAP (Military Advantage Program), which was created by the military to assist its personnel in purchasing a vehicle. By using MAP you are guaranteed to get the best possible deal on a car. To qualify for MAP you must be deployed for a period of 30 days or more.
1. Visit the Exchange New Car Sales (ENCS) website to choose the make and model of the vehicle you would like to purchase. There is a tool on the website that allows you to get a price quote for a vehicle. You can choose Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ford, Lincoln or Harley Davidson vehicles. Used vehicles cannot be purchased using the MAP program.
2. Compare the price quote with those in the Edmunds and Kelley Blue Book websites. By doing your research, you will have a good idea of what you can expect to pay for the vehicle.
3. Contact the ENCS representative in your base’s exchange store if you’re in the Army, Air Force, National Guard or Marines. Contact a Navy AutoSource representative if you’re in the Navy. Reach an AutoSource representative by calling 800-880-6119.
4. Advise the ENCS or AutoSource representative of the vehicle you want to purchase. If you need financing, the representative will use MAP to submit an application to the automobile manufacturer’s finance department. If you want to pay for your vehicle with cash, the representative will use MAP to ensure you get the lowest price for your vehicle.
5. Consent to a credit check to determine whether or not you are approved for vehicle financing. The approval process can take a few minutes, a few hours or a few days.
6. Request that your vehicle be shipped directly to your duty station if you are located overseas. If this is your only vehicle, you can request to have it shipped at the government’s expense. Otherwise take possession of your vehicle by visiting a local dealer.