Want to boost your TV reception? Consider buying an outdoor TV antenna. Before you do, you need to know get exactly what you need. A little time spent on research may save some money and frustration down the road. Follow these steps to buy the best outdoor antenna for you.
1. Decide how much you’d like to spend on an antenna. Prices for these start around $50 and can get close to $200. If you live in a rural area, a more expensive antenna may be a better value in the long run.
2. Figure out what type of antenna you’ll need. Visit the “Consumer Electronics Associations” website (see Resources below). Enter your zip code and address. This site will give you the distances and directions of the transmitting towers in your area.
3. Determine if the antenna will work correctly with your TV. Check the owner’s manual for antenna specifications for your model. See if their recommendations are consistent with your research.
4. Research the quality of the products by visiting online retailers’ sites (see Resources below). This site has a large quantity of helpful feedback for potential buyers. The best reviews are with the RCA and Terk models.
5. Choose a brand that is known for its dependability and will work with your location. Pay specific attention to the different types of mounts available for your model. The roof of your home may require a specific type of antenna mount.
6. Purchase the outdoor TV antenna that best fits your needs and budget and arrange for installation or do it yourself. Depending on the retailer, they may have technicians in-house that can do the installation for you for an additional fee.