Change a Battery on a 2005 Harley Sportster 883
The Harley-Davidson Sportster 883 is equipped with a battery designed to require little in the way of maintenance or service until it fails. When the battery in your Sportster 883 dies, buy a 12-volt battery from a Harley-Davidson dealership, auto parts store or motorsports specialist. Change the battery at home in minutes with a Phillips screwdriver and save the expense of a technician.
1. Loosen the screw securing the back of the seat using a Phillips screwdriver. Lift the seat up and pull it toward the rear of the motorcycle to remove it.
2. Lift the cover off the battery compartment and set it aside. Remove the screw on the retaining strap with a Phillips screwdriver. Lift the strap off the battery.
3. Disconnect the negative battery cable with a Phillips screwdriver. Repeat the process for the positive cable. Lift the battery out of the compartment. Position the new battery in the battery tray.
4. Connect the positive battery cable and tighten it with a Phillips screwdriver. Repeat this for the negative cable. Replace the retaining strap and secure the screw with a Phillips screwdriver. Place the cover on the compartment.
5. Reposition the motorcycle seat. Tighten the retaining screw with a Phillips screwdriver.