Change Brake Pads on a Heritage Softail
Replacing the brake pads on your Harley Heritage Softail will save you hundreds of dollars. You will also have the satisfaction of repairing your own motorcycle. Replacing the brake pads on your bike is much simpler than replacing the pads on a car because you don’t have to jack the bike in the air and the brakes are exposed for easy access and repair.
1. Remove the caliper with a ratchet and use a bungee cord to hang the caliper. Do not let the caliper hang from the brake hose as it might break and cause fluid to leak.
2. Pull the brake pads out of the caliper bracket and place the new pads in.
3. Open the master cylinder reservoir so you don’t break a seal while compressing the brake caliper.
4. Compress the brake caliper with a C-clamp so the caliper can fit over the new brake pads. Install the caliper by securing it to the brake caliper bracket with a ratchet.
5. Check the level of the brake fluid in the master cylinder and fill if necessary. Close the master cylinder cap.