Without a battery, your Harley Sportster will not operate.
Like cars and trucks, motorcycles require a power source to operate electrical features such as headlights, turn signals and ignition. You should replace the battery in your 2006 Harley Sportster when you begin to hear your motorcycle take longer to start than usual. Replacing the battery on your Sportster is a simple but essential part of the process for proper motorcycle upkeep.
1. Lift the seat of your Sportster to reveal the battery access point.
2. Detach the retaining strap holding the battery in its compartment.
3. Examine the battery for any signs of corrosion or damage. If there is a powdery blue or green substance built up around the negative and positive charge points, put your gloves on. If the battery is mostly clean, you can proceed without gloves.
4. Disconnect the negative battery connection point (the black cable or wire) by pulling up on the wires connected to the metal connection device.
5. Disconnect the positive battery connection point (the red cable) by pulling up on the wires connected to the metal connection device.
6. Lift the battery out of the housing compartment and set it aside.
7. Place the replacement battery into the compartment and connect it to the bike’s electrical system by reconnecting the positive connection device, then the negative connection device. Reattach the retaining strap and replace the seat.