The first Harley Davidson Fat Boy motorcycle was released in 1990. Since then, various reiterations of the Fat Boy have been released. It is important to to keep up with your Fat Boy motorcycle’s maintenance. A common motorcycle maintenance issue is knowing change the oil in a 2001 Harley Davidson Fat Boy.
1. Warm up your Fat Boy motorcycle’s engine. This helps warm and thin the oil to make draining it easier. Turn off engine after 10 minutes.
2. Access the Harley Davidson Fat Boy’s oil plug. In the 2001 Fat Boy model, the oil drain plug is above the motorcycle’s rear shocks near the bike’s crossbar.
3. Tilt the motorcycle to its right side and position your oil catchment container under the oil plug.
4. Use your wrench set to unscrew the oil drain plug. In a 2001 Harley Davidson Fat Boy, you need a wrench that will fit a 1/4-inch screw.
5. Drain the oil. While oil is draining from your Harley Davidson, use the time to clean out the magnet and rubber ring positioned under the oil drain plug.
6. Remove and replace the oil filter after the oil has drained. Refill with 3 to 4 quarts of engine oil. Replace all parts, including the magnet, rubber ring and drain plug.
7. Check that the drain plug has been securely screwed in. Run your Harley Davidson’s engine to circulate the new oil.