Change the Oil on a 2005 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
The 2005 Harley-Davidson Soft Tail Fat Boy is a full-sized cruiser with a large V-Twin 88-inch engine. V-Twin engines are high-revving, high-compression engines, and oil consumption is one of the most important aspects of keeping your engine healthy. Old oil can destroy a V-Twin engine. If you use conventional motor oil, you should change your oil every 3,000 miles. If you use synthetic, you should change your oil between 4,000 and 5,000 miles.
1. Remove the oil filler dipstick from the oil tank located on the right side of the bike.
2. Place a drain pan or a funnel below the oil line connected to the bottom rear, right side of the oil tank, and remove the lock nut that secures the oil line to the tank using a wrench. Pull the oil line off the tank, and drain all of the oil out of the tank. Secure the oil line back to the tank using the lock nut and the wrench.
3. Remove the oil filter on the front of the engine where the front cylinder bolts onto the crankcase. You can locate it from the left side of the motorcycle. Remove the filter using a filter wrench.
4. Lubricate the seal on the new filter using a small amount of fresh engine oil. Fill the filter with fresh oil, and then thread it back onto the oil pickup tube. Tighten the filter as tight as you can with your hands.
5. Place a funnel into the oil filter spout on the oil tank, and drain 2 quarts of engine oil into the tank.
6. Check the oil levels using the dipstick, and fill accordingly. Place the dipstick back into the oil tank.