The sheet metal on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle are the fenders and gas tank. Some riders don’t like the plain look of the original gas tank and fenders, and decide to change them. They want a different color or they want graphics painted on the gas tank and fenders. Here are the steps to change them.
1. Use a wrench to remove the 4 bolts attached to the fork sliders. There are 2 bolts on each side. Remove the old fender and put the new fender on, and put the 4 bolts back into the fork slider.
2. Remove the saddlebag on the right side on the motorcycle by opening the lid of the saddlebag, turning and removing the two clips that attach it to the fender. Lift the saddlebag off the motorcycle. Repeat for the left saddlebag.
3. Use a phillips Screwdriver to remove the screw at the back of the seat. Slide the seat back and remove it. Use a wrench to remove all the bolts and take the fender off. Put the new fender on and replace all the bolts.
4. Disconnect the battery. To do so, use a phillips head screwdriver to remove the screw holding the speedometer on the gas tank. Next, unhook the speedometer cable and remove the speedometer. Unhook the gas line from the tank and use a wrench to remove the bolts holding the tank to the motorcycle. Remove the gas tank and pour the gas into a five gallon bucket.
5. Put the new gas tank on and use a wrench to replace the bolts. Reconnect the gas line to the new tank. Put the speedometer back on the gas tank, making sure to hook the speedometer cable back up. Use a Phillips head screwdriver to reattach the speedometer to the motorcycle. Use a funnel to pour the gas from the five gallon bucket into the new gas tank.
6. Slide the seat back on and use a phillips head screwdriver to reattach the seat to the motorcycle. Put on the right saddlebag, replace both clips, turning to lock. Repeat for the left saddlebag.