Connect Speakers to HDTV
High-definition television programming broadcast through your high-definition television (HDTV) is crystal clear. The colors are rich and the signal is free of shadows and other issues. While the picture is excellent, the sound may not be. HDTVs come equipped with two or more stereo speakers built into the television’s side or base. To enhance your HDTV’s audio, you can connect external amplified speakers to the television’s audio jacks. Regular analog speakers will not work with your HDTV because the analog speakers lack an encoder to process the audio signals coming from your HDTV.
1. Turn off your HDTV. Unplug the television’s power cord from the electrical outlet.
2. Turn the HDTV around so the back of the television is facing you.
3. Place the amplified speakers close to your HDTV. The amplified speakers may be connected together with a single speaker cable.
4. Plug one end of the red audio cable into the back of the right amplified speaker‘s “Audio-Right” or “Audio In-Right” jack.
5. Plug the other end of the red audio cable into the back of your HDTV’s “Audio Out-Right” jack.
6. Plug one end of the white audio cable into the back of the left amplified speaker’s “Audio-Left” or “Audio In-Left” jack.
7. Plug the other end of the white audio cable into the back of your HDTV’s “Audio Out-Left” jack.
8. Plug in the amplified speaker’s round power supply adapter into the back of the amplified speaker’s power jack. The power jack may be only on one of the amplified speakers if the speakers are connected.
If your amplified speakers are independent of each other, the two speakers will have separate power supplies and power cables.
9. Plug in the amplified speaker’s power supply cord into an electrical outlet.
10. Turn on the amplified speaker by pressing the “Power” button on the front or back of the device.
11. Turn your HDTV around so the front of the television is facing you. Plug in the television’s power cord into a electrical outlet.
12. Turn on your HDTV to test the speakers. You should hear sound coming from the amplified speakers. If you don’t hear any sound, check the connections.