Convert TVs to HD
Not all television sets can be converted to high definition (HD); however, there are many models on the market that are “HD Ready.” Having the right equipment will help allow you to watch HD programming.
1. Check to ensure the “HD Ready” logo is present. You can find the logo printed directly on the TV, via the TV manual or through a check of the manufacturers website. Only “HD Ready” TV’s can be converted to HDTV.
2. Purchase an HD converter box.
3. Plug in your HD Ready converter box to your television, the spot for the box will be labeled and is typically found on the back of the television.
4. Hook the other side of the box to your HDTV antenna. If you don’t have an HDTV antenna you can buy one at most major electronics stores.
5. Turn on your TV and converter box and let the converter do a self search for available HDTV channels. You should see your channels in 720P or 1080i or 1080p quality depending on your televisions capabilities.
6. Search for local cable and satellite providers that offer HDTV. Check with your local city hall or chamber of commerce for cable company listings.
7. Call a local provider and ask if they offer HDTV converter boxes for your HD Ready TV. Order the box along with HD programming if they offer what you are looking for.
8. Plug in your HDTV converter box as instructed by the cable or satellite provider. You can also elect to have a professional installer setup your system when you get new service; this is typically a free option.
9. Test your TV’s HD abilities by navigating to an HD channel, typically these channels are found in the programming guide for your provider.