A great way to create a custom background in Adobe Photoshop is by using one or more multiple filters. These filters will work together to form a very unique background for your next Photoshop project. Keep reading to find out create custom backgrounds using filters.
1. Start Adobe Photoshop, choose the “File” menu and click on “New” to open the “New” dialog box.
2. Use the “Width” and “Height” boxes to create a new canvas for your Photoshop document. Change any other settings you would like to have applied to your new canvas including resolution and color.
3. Click the “OK” button to close the “New” dialog box and bring the newly created canvas up on the screen. Notice that in the Layers palette the layer is named “Background.”
4. Choose the “Filter” menu, point to “Artistic” and click on any of the options to bring up the “Filter” dialog box.
5. Click on the main categories in the center of the “Filter” dialog box to choose the category of filter you would like to apply. You can choose from Artistic, Brush Strokes, Distort, Sketch, Stylize or Texture. When you click on the main category, you will see a selection of those types of filters drop down below.
6. Select a filter from the category you have chosen. You will be able to see a preview of this filter to the left side of the “Filter” dialog box.
7. Change the settings for the filter on the right side of the box. Click “OK” in the “Filter” dialog box when you are happy with the filter and want to apply it. You can continue to add filters on top of other filters to create even more custom backgrounds.