Get a New Key for My Hyundai Elantra
Lost Hyundai car keys can be replaced relatively easy. However, it can be expensive, so is important to explore your options in order to save money. Many of the modern Hyundai keys are laser cut are can be replaced by matching the vehicle identification number, or VIN. Depending on your vehicle’s year, the Hyundai Elantra keys can either be replaced at a locksmith or at your nearest Hyundai dealer.
1. Look near the base of the driver’s side windshield. Locate a slim metal plate along the side of the windshield that will have the VIN number. Record the number and have your driver’s license, registration and insurance documents on hand. This will be needed to prove ownership.
2. Visit you local hardware store if you are looking to simply make a duplicate of a non-computerized car key. Some later Hyundai Elantra car keys have computerized chips at the base of the key to open the locks. These cannot be made by the hardware store.
3. Look for area locksmiths. There are many locksmiths that have the technology and capability to cut and reprogram duplicate car keys. The prices are typically cheaper than the dealer.
4. Visit the dealer as a last resort. Visit the Hyundai USA website and click on “Find a Dealer.” Enter your zip code and it will reveal a list of the nearest dealers and service centers.
5. Call the dealership and ask for the parts department. Arrange a time or appointment to have the key replaced.