Get a Stuck Key Out of a Lock Quickly
You have a key made at a hardware store. You take the key home to try it out, but the key sticks in the lock. No matter how much you jiggle, the key won’t come out. What do you do to get the stuck key out of the lock? A locksmith once gave me this simple advice. And it works. Does this Spark an idea?
1. First, don’t panic. Try turning the key all the way left and then all of the way right in the lock. Then reposition the key so that it is vertical in the lock. Gently try to pull the key out. Do not force it.
2. If this does not work, gently jiggle the key a bit. Carefully, pull out on the key. If it still sticks, use the secret weapon.
3. If you don’t already have some, send someone down to Home Depot or Lowes to get you some WD-40 (you can’t go because your house is unlocked). Then spray the WD-40 into the lock. It will be a little difficult to get the oil to penetrate with the key in the lock, but some oil will make it through. Gently pull the key out. It should slide out without too much difficulty.
4. Now spray some WD-40 into the lock and onto the key. Wipe the key with a paper towel. Insert the key back into the lock, and try again. Your key should now work well.
5. If the key still sticks and does not work well in the lock, take the key back to the store where you had it made. Ask them to make you another one because the one you have doesn’t work.