A clear view of the southern sky is required to receive DirecTV programming.
DirecTV is offering free High Definition (HD) service to all new customers. If you’re an existing customer, you can upgrade to HD service for a monthly fee. To enjoy HD programming, your television must be HD-ready, which means being capable of displaying at least 720 progressive lines of resolution. HD receivers, also required, are available to purchase on DirecTV’s website. You also can contact DirecTV by calling its toll-free number.
1. Purchase an HD-ready television to ensure compatibility with DirecTV’s HD service.
2. Contact DirecTV at directv.com or by calling toll free, 1-888-777-2454. A credit card is required to initiate DirecTV service.
3. Inquire about HD programming, receivers and packages. Subscribe to a particular package and schedule an appointment to have DirecTV equipment installed.
4. Once installation is complete, browse through the channels to ensure everything was set up properly. HD channels are located above Standard Definition channels in the program guide.
5. Make sure your television is HD-ready. If not, follow Step 1 for New Customers.
6. Upgrade to HD programming and equipment by calling 1-888-355-7530 or going online at directv.com. The monthly fee for HD programming is $10, while the receivers, initially, range from $99 to $199.
7. Upgrade to HD programming by signing into “My Account,” then clicking “High Definition (HD)” under “My Services.”
8. Upgrade to HD equipment by signing into “My Account,” then clicking “Add Receiver” under “Equipment.” Select an HD receiver, then complete your order by following the instructions. The receiver will be shipped to you.
9. Schedule an appointment to have your new equipment installed. In most cases, installation is free, but can cost up to $49. Self installation also is an option.