Many high-def computer monitors are like HDTVs without the cable jack, component and composite inputs.
The Xbox 360 game console is capable of video output up to 1080p. This allows for high-definition gaming with the greatest possible picture quality. If you have a computer monitor with a VGA or HDMI input, you can connect and use it as a display for your Xbox 360. In order to do this, you need an HDMI cable or the Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable, two common inputs available on most high-definition monitors. Which cable you use depends on your preferences and the inputs available on your monitor.
1. Power off both your monitor and your Xbox 360.
2. Disconnect any video cables currently connected to the back of the Xbox 360.
3. Connect one end of the HDMI cable or the VGA end of the Xbox 360 VGA HD AV cable to its appropriate port on the back of the monitor. These ports are labeled.
4. Connect the other end of the HDMI cable to the Xbox 360’s HDMI port, or connect the other end of the Xbox 360 VGA HD AV cable to your Xbox 360’s audio-video output. Both ports are on the back of the console.
5. Power on your monitor and press the “Input” or “Source” button until it is on the HDMI or VGA channel (also referred to as “PC” channel).
6. Press the center button on your Xbox 360 controller to power on the console.
7. Highlight “My Xbox” and navigate to the right using the directional pad or analog stick until you reach the “System Settings” menu and press the “A” button.
8. Select “Console Settings.”
9. Select “Display.”
10. Select “HDTV Settings.”
11. Select “Optimal” for your Xbox 360 to automatically configure itself to match the capabilities of your monitor.
12. Confirm the changes, selecting “Yes, keep these settings.”