HDTV delivers the best picture available, but the sound can often be improved by connecting an external pair of speakers. Self-powered speakers are required because the amplifier inside the television is not usually powerful enough to drive external speakers. Computer desktop speakers are a good choice. They have a built-in amplifier, usually inside the right-hand speaker. The only extra equipment required for this project is a Y-adapter with RCA audio plugs on one end and a jack with a mini-plug on the other.
1. Insert the white and red plugs on the Y-adapter into the left and right Audio OUT jacks on the back of the HDTV.
2. Connect the plug on the end of the right-channel computer speaker to the mini-plug jack on the
Y-adapter. This completes the connection from the HDTV to the computer speakers.
3. Insert the plug attached to the left-channel speaker into the audio jack on the back of the right channel speaker.
4. Connect the AC adapter to the power jack on the back of the right-channel speaker, then plug the other end of the AC adapter into a wall outlet.
5. Switch on the computer speakers, and adjust the volume to the desired level.