Create your own home movies with a video camera and editing software.
Apple’s iMovie allows the user to edit video that is recorded from a digital camera, including the Sony Handycam. With iMovie, video can be uploaded from the Sony Handycam to your computer. From there, you can cut, copy and rearrange the video using the iMovie editing tools. The uploading process is fairly straightforward, but it can be time consuming depending on the length and quality of video.
1. Launch iMovie by clicking the iMovie icon on your desktop.
2. Set the camera to “VTR,” “Computer” or “PC” mode by moving the sliding switch on the top of the camera. Your Handycam has one of those three settings.
3. Attach your camera to your computer via a USB cable or a firewire. The jacks for either cable will be located on the back of your camera, the front of your computer‘s desktop CPU or the side of you laptop. IMovie automatically detects your camera after you have completed the connection. The “Import From” window opens upon detection.
4. Click “Automatic” and then “Import All” to begin the import of your video to the computer.
5. Click “File” and then “Save” after the raw video has been imported. Choose the location in which you would like to save the video. Then click “Save.” This saves your video to the computer and allows you to open it for editing.