The Screamin’ Eagle air cleaner kit is a high performance part, which is available to install on your Harley-Davidson motorcycle. The air cleaner allows cleaner air to flow into the carburetor, which increases the performance of the motorcycle. To do this you will need to obtain the Screamin’ Eagle air cleaner, to install on your Harley-Davidson, and use the proper tools to complete the task.
1. Remove the air cleaner cover from the motorcycle with the Phillips screwdriver. This exposes the stock filter element and backing plate. Remove the stock filter element with the socket wrench.
2. Find and remove the mounting screws on the carburetor with the Allen wrench. Remove the two stock head breather bolts.
3. Pull the backing plate off of the carburetor and set it aside. Keep the stock head breather bolts for use later.
4. Insert 3 screws into the front of the new backing plate from the air cleaner kit.
5. Peel the backing from the back of the carburetor gasket. Position the carburetor gasket over the backing plate on the carburetor side. Apply Loctite to ends of the screws that are protruding from the carburetor gasket.
6. Set the backing plate in place on the carburetor. Tighten the screws with the Phillips screwdriver.
7. Apply Loctite to the stock breather head bolts. Insert the breather head bolts into the backing plate and tighten with the Allen wrench. Torque the bolts to 15 foot-pounds with the torque wrench.
8. Place the vent breather tubes over the head of the head breather bolts. Point the ends of the tubes into the opening of the carburetor.
9. Place the air filter element on the backing plate and torque the bolts to 40 foot-pounds with the torque wrench.
10. Reattach the air cleaner cover back onto the bike.