Motorcycles can be customized to fit their owners, but their basic maintenance remains the same.
West Coast Choppers is a brand of motorcycle parts. They make everything from decorative accessories down to the basic parts that are needed for the proper performance of any motorcycle. One of their products is the air cleaner. This piece filters the air passing through the motorcycle engine. West Coast Choppers offers this part in a variety of custom and designer styles. However, installing it is the same as any type of air cleaner.
1. Loosen and remove the screws of the air filter cover by turning them counterclockwise with a Phillips screwdriver.
2. Loosen and remove the bolts holding the stock filter element that is now exposed. Turn the bolts counterclockwise with an adjustable wrench.
3. Loosen and remove the mounting screws that are located on the carburetor by turning them counterclockwise with the Allen wrench.
4. Remove the two bolts located on the stock head breather by turning them counterclockwise with an adjustable wrench.
5. Remove the backing plate from the carburetor by pulling it with your hands.
6. Insert and tighten three screws into the backing plate of the new air cleaner. Turn them clockwise with a screwdriver.
7. Place the carburetor on the backing place. Insert and tighten screws through the holes of the carburetor gasket and the backing plate with a screwdriver.
8. Apply Locktite to the backs of the screws that go through the carburetor gasket and backing plate and the breather head bolts.
9. Insert and tighten the breather head bolts into the remaining holes in the backing plate by turning them clockwise with an Allen wrench.
10. Torque the breather head bolts with a torque wrench to approximately 15 foot-pounds.
11. Slide the ends of the breather tubes over the breather head bolts with their opposite ends pointing toward the carburetor.
12. Position the air filter on the backing plate. Secure it in place by inserting and tightening bolts through the holes of the air filter and the backing plate with an adjustable wrench. Torque these bolts with a torque wrench to approximately 40 foot-pounds.
13. Slide the air cleaner cover over the West Coast Choppers air cleaner with your hands.