The shiny luster of chrome can create an eye-pleasing effect on nearly any motorcycle. Harley-Davidson takes full advantage of this fact by offering a staggering variety of chromed dress-up pieces for its line of motorcycles, allowing Sportster riders to replace nearly any part of their motorcycle with a brilliant work of art. As a finishing touch, the handlebar-mounted switch assemblies, which are housed in black plastic cases, can be replaced with chromed cases to match the rest of the motorcycle. Installing the new switch covers isn’t hard but will require a degree of familiarity with your Sportster’s controls.
1. Unscrew the handlebar clamp bolts from the front of the clutch and brake lever perches with a Torx 27 driver. Pull the clutch and brake lever perches away from the handlebars, and lay them over the headlight.
2. Unscrew the bolts from the bottom of the left and right switch assemblies with a Torx 25 driver. Pull the left switch assembly down and off of the handlebars.
3. Lift the top of the switch assemblies off the handlebars. Pull the throttle cable ends out of the throttle grip’s flange, located on the right handlebar. Slide the throttle grip off of the handlebar. Pull the right switch assembly down and off of the handlebars. Pull the throttle cables out from the bottom of the right switch assembly.
4. Unscrew the bolts securing the wiring and switches to the lower half of both switch assemblies with a Phillips screwdriver. Pull the wiring and switches out of the switch assemblies. Lay the wiring and switches into the chrome switch assemblies, then screw the wiring’s bolts into place with a Phillips screwdriver.
5. Push the throttle cables through the bottom of the right chrome switch assembly. Slide the throttle grip onto the right handlebar, then place the lower half of the right chrome switch assembly over the throttle grip’s flange. Slip the throttle cable ends into the throttle grip’s flange. Place the upper half of the chrome switch cover over the throttle grip and the lower half of the assembly. Screw the switch assembly‘s bolts into place with a Torx 25 driver.
6. Place the lower half of the left chrome switch assembly against the left handlebar. Place the upper half of the switch assembly over the handlebar. Screw the assembly’s bolts into place with a Torx 25 driver.
7. Mount the clutch and brake lever perches onto the handlebars, and tighten the handlebar clamp bolts with a Torx 27 driver.