Customizing a Harley-Davidson Sportster is a right of passage for most Harley owners. Adding accessories such as billet chrome engine covers, after-market exhaust pipes and even a custom paint job is something you will likely see on most Sportsters. Installing new mirrors on your 2002 Sportster helps to tie all of your accessories together. Fortunately, changing the mirrors is one of the easiest tasks you will complete on your motorcycle.
1. Locate the stem of the existing mirror that connects the mirror lens to the handlebar. If changing the right side mirror, look under the brake handle housing for the bolt that secures the stem of the mirror to the housing. If replacing the left side mirror, look under the clutch handle housing for the nut that secures the stem of the mirror to the housing.
2. Remove the nut with a ratchet and socket. Turn the nut counterclockwise.
3. Pull the threaded portion of the mirror’s stem out of the clutch or brake handle housing.
4. Slide the threaded portion of the new mirror’s stem through the hole in the brake or clutch handle housing until the threads extend through the housing.
5. Thread the bolts onto the threaded portion of the mirror’s stem and give the nut a quarter-turn with the socket and ratchet.
6. Sit on the bike and adjust the mirror by hand until you can clearly see behind you.
7. Tighten the mirror with the socket and ratchet until the mirror is securely attached.