Install Power Commander to a Harley Davidson Road King
Harley-Davidson’s Road King series has set a high level of standards. Built for the long haul, the Road King V-twin motor has a comfortable seat, windshield and hard saddlebags. To enhance the King’s performance, a Power Commander electronic fuel-injection controller can be installed easily to fine-tune the bike’s power delivery. For modified Road Kings, whose free-flowing air intakes and exhaust systems require a greater amount of fuel to perform properly, this is especially important. Fortunately, installing the Power Commander can be one of the simplest upgrades to perform.
1. Remove the right-side frame cover to access the Electronic Control Module (ECM). Remove the ECM by unscrewing the two mounting bolts that secure it to the frame.
2. Unplug the ECM from the motorcycle’s wiring harness. Plug the black connector from the Power Commander module into the wiring harness.
3. Prepare the wiring harness connector for mounting by cleaning the top side of the connector with the included alcohol swab to remove any oil or grease. Attach a strip of Velcro to the clean surface of both halves of the connector.
4. Remove the backing from the Velcro strips and mount the connector to the underside of the battery tray. Hold the connector against the tray and apply pressure for 15 to 20 seconds to set the Velcro strip’s adhesive backing.
5. Connect the gray connector from the Power Commander module to the ECM. Tighten the ECM’s mounting screws to secure it to the frame.
6. Secure the Power Commander module by zip-tying it to the ECM or frame. Replace the right side frame cover to conceal the ECM and Power Commander module.