When purchasing saddlebags for a Harley Davidson Deluxe, size up the depth from the frame rail on the fender to the exhaust. Make sure there is a minimum of two inches between the exhaust and the bag. The bags should be of the hardback variety, not the throw-over type. The best attachment apparatus is the easy brackets, not only for looks but for ease of removal and security. This has a barrel lock that secures the saddlebag to the bike. When removed, no bracket or apparatus is visible.
1. Hold one of the bags in the desired position. Make sure that it is centered laterally between the two bolts on the frame rail and that the bags are at least two inches above the exhaust. Mark a line on the back of the bag where the frame bolts touch the back of the bag.
2. Center one of the easy brackets with the attachment point up on the back of the bag. Make sure the top is on the line representing the frame rail bolts. Mark the bag to show the location of the four mounting holes in the easy bracket. Drill the holes with the appropriate drill bit.
3. Attach the easy bracket to the bag, using the supplied hardware and tighten it with a wrench. Attach the remaining easy bracket to the opposite bag in the same manner.
4. Remove the two bolts from the frame rail and replace them with the supplied longer bolts, using an Allen wrench. Install the docking posts to the longer bolts just installed and tighten them down. Do the same to the other side.
5. The bags can now be installed or removed by simply placing the bag with the easy bracket over the docking posts. Use the barrel key to lock them in place.