Dyna Glide Harley-Davidson motorcycles use two large coil over shocks to absorb road conditions on the rear of the bike. You get the coil over shocks in complete units and since the shocks are out in the open, they are relatively easy to remove and reinstall. When replacing the shocks it is best to have a second person helping you to hold the bike steady because you cannot tie the bike down in a manner that compresses the rear shocks. Otherwise, the shocks are under load and could hurt you when you remove them.
1. Remove the bolt that secures the lower shock to the lower shock mount using a socket and ratchet.
2. Remove the bolt that secures the upper shock to the upper shock mount using a socket and ratchet. Hold the shock with one hand while you do this to prevent it from falling off the motorcycle.
3. Pull the shock off the motorcycle and place the new one onto the motorcycle.
4. Secure the upper shock to the upper shock mounting using the bolt, socket and ratchet.
5. Secure the lower shock to the lower shock mount with the bolt, socket and ratchet.
6. Complete steps 1 through 5 on the other side of the Dyna Glide Harley-Davidson.