A motorcycle baby shower cake is perfect for any biker mother-to-be.
For a Harley-loving mother-to-be, a motorcycle baby shower cake will get some laughter, and maybe even a few tears. With some creamy frosting and some creativity, anyone can make a simple, yet sublime cake for a mother expecting a wild child. You don’t need to buy any special equipment to make your cake. Any round, rectangle or square cake pan will do. Use the tools that you have and your creativity to give the future mommy a cake she’ll never forget. Does this Spark an idea?
Bake Your Cake
1. Find out what kind of cake the mother-to-be prefers. Any cake will do, although a plain white frosting base will be best for decorating. Chocolate, vanilla or even carrot cake with cream cheese frosting will work.
2. Prepare your cake batter and your cake pans. You can make a sheet cake to be decorated. Or, use a sheet cake as a base to cut into the shape of a motorcycle. You could also use round cakes to be layered. Make sure that your pans are thoroughly buttered and floured so that the cake will easily slip out of the pans after baking.
3. Bake your cake. Let it cool on a wire rack in the pan for the amount of time specified. Remove the cake from the pan. The cake must completely cooled before frosting.
For a Motorcycle Shaped Cake
4. Plan out on paper what you want your cake to look like. Draw the motorcycle, using your cake pan to determine the size of your design. Cut out the motorcycle form and use it as a stencil.
5. Freeze your cake, if time allows, for easier cutting. Remove it from the freezer about 10 minutes before cutting.
6. Hold your paper stencil on the cake with one hand and used your other hand to cut around it with a serrated knife. Gently wipe away any crumbs.
7. Frost your cake using homemade or canned frosting. Gently spread a generous amount of frosting over the top and sides of the cake using a spatula; smoothing it out with a knife.
8. Put the cake in the refrigerator for 20 minutes and then add a second layer of frosting.
9. Add food coloring to your frosting if you are decorating a motorcycle shaped cake – make the wheels black and the body of the bike the mother-to-be’s favorite color. If making a rectangle our round cake, leave the frosting a simple light color like pink, blue or even white.
10. Add details to your cut-out motorcycle cake. Use a pastry bag to add handle bars, a seat and wheel spokes.
11. Pipe on orange Harley Davidson flames to your sheet cake, or a fun phrase like “born to be wild.” Include the baby’s name, if known, and any other message for the mommy.
12. Place some objects on your sheet cake, like a little toy motorcycle and baby blocks.
13. Pipe on a motorcycle in frosting, if you’re feeling really confident.