Evel Knievel is best known for his extreme motorcycle stunts and his patriotic-inspired costumes. He dazzled audiences with his stunts from 1966 until his last successful jump in 1977 where he jumped over seven buses. You can make your own Evel Knievel costume with the help from the colors red, white and blue. Does this Spark an idea?
Making the Costume
1. Slip a small piece of cardboard inside the shirt and pants where you will be painting. This will keep the paint from bleeding through to the other side of the fabric.
2. Paint a large blue “V” shape on the chest area of the shirt. In most of Evel Knievel‘s costumes, the top part of the “V” started at the shoulders and came to a point at his navel. Allow the paint to dry.
3. Paint a blue belt shape around the waist area of the shirt. Allow the paint to dry.
4. Paint a blue stripe going down the outside side of each pant leg.
5. Paint a red border around the “V” shape, belt shape and leg stripes.
6. Embellish the cape with red, white and blue accents.
7. Apply white star stickers or fabric cutouts on top of the blue. Sew or glue the embellishments to secure them to the fabric.
8. Decorate the helmet with stars and stripes stickers. Set it aside.
Wearing the Costume
9. Dress in the white clothing and shoes.
10. Attach the cape around your shoulders. Depending upon the type of cape you have, you might need to tie it, or attach it with hook and loops materials.
11. Place the helmet on top of your head.