Brighten your taillights by installing powerful LED bulbs.
Tail lights, or brake lights, are a vital component of any vehicle’s safety system. Most automobiles come with a traditional incandescent bulb installed in the tail light assembly. While these lights work fine, they are less efficient and not as powerful as the newer LED tail lights. LED lights are made to fit into a traditional tail light assembly socket. Therefore, upgrading to make bright LED tail lights is an easy job for the do-it-yourselfer.
1. Park your vehicle on a flat surface and apply the parking brake. Turn off the engine and wait up to 30 minutes for the auto to completely cool.
2. Inspect the tail light to determine access point. On some vehicles you can access the bulb from the outside by simply removing the lens. If you see screws on the lens itself, simply remove these with the appropriate screwdriver then skip to step 4. Other models require you to pop the trunk and access the bulb from the inside. If this is the case, continue to step 3.
3. Go to the spot in the trunk directly behind the tail light. Pull back any carpeting to expose the tail light assembly. If there is a plastic access panel, remove this to gain entry into the interior of the tail light assembly. These are held on either by clips or screws.
4. Reach into the tail light assembly and grab the tail light bulb. Give it a turn to the left to loosen it and then pull it straight out.
5. Insert the LED replacement bulb and turn it to the right to secure it in place. The replace any access panels or carpeting. Repeat this process on the remaining tail light or brake light.