Make Hips Wider
Widening the hips is extremely difficult because hip width is determined by bone structure, not by exercise. However, exercise and weight training can help if done on a regular basis. If you want wider hips, just keep reading.
Widening the Hips
1. Supplement your diet with foods rich in protein and carbohydrates. Eliminate junk foods such as chips, sweets and soda. Carbohydrates such as pasta and bread will give you the energy needed to complete the hip-widening exercises. Protein will help you build muscle on your outer hips to make them wider.
2. Do about 10 reps of side lunges. Step out to your side about two feet with your right leg and keep your foot there. Bend your knee and go down into a lunge position. Your left leg should remain straight. Use your hips to push yourself back up, but do not pop your foot back to a standing position with your feet together. Your feet should stay in the same position throughout the entire exercise. When you come back to the top, lunge out with your left leg about two feet out. Repeat the lunge with your left leg. Do this exercises while holding your 5 lb dumbbells for increased resistance.
3. Do abduction-isolation style exercises using your dumbbells. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Hold one dumbbell in your left hand, and hold onto something solid with your right hand. Rest the dumbbell against your thigh. Quickly raise your left leg to the side as high as you can using your hip muscles, and hold for about 5 to 10 seconds. Do about 8 to 10 reps on your left leg, and switch to the right leg.
4. Do sideways treadmill walking. Set your treadmill to a slow pace with a bit of an incline for added resistance. Face to your left and step onto the treadmill with your right leg and cross over with your left leg. Develop a steady pace and hold on to the rails for your protection. Do the sideways walking exercise for about 10 to 20 minutes.
5. Do these exercises as a program about 3 to 4 times a week. Add more reps and weights as you become accustomed to the routine.