Replace the stock exhaust system with a performance exhaust system.
If you own a Mitsubishi vehicle, there are several upgrades that you can perform to make your vehicle faster, ranging from simple bolt on parts such as exhaust headers to complex parts like forced induction intake systems like turbo or superchargers. You can perform several of these upgrades yourself with basic tools and vehicle knowledge, making your Mitsubishi faster.
1. Install an air induction system. Air induction systems such as a cold air intake replace your stock air filter box with a longer intake hose, positioned near the front of your car. Cold air intake systems cool the air inflow into the intake manifold. Cooler air results in more powerful combustion cycles.
2. Install a less restrictive exhaust system (cat-back exhaust system). Several manufacturers produce aftermarket exhaust systems that allow exhaust gases to escape from the engine more quickly. Faster exhaust expulsion increases horsepower and vehicle torque. You can either replace your exhaust system (from the catalytic converter back), your exhaust manifold (with vehicle headers) or both.
3. Replace vehicle computer chip with a performance chip. Performance chips modify the vehicle computer, increasing the amount of fuel injected into the cylinders. More fuel increases the power of each combustion cycle and subsequently increases overall vehicle power and speed.
4. Install a forced air induction air system. Forced air induction systems, such as turbochargers and superchargers are more expensive than normal air inductions systems; however turbo and superchargers dramatically increase vehicle power and speed. Both devices work by forcing substantially more air into the combustion chamber, resulting in more powerful combustion cycles. A turbocharger uses exhaust expulsion to spin a turbine that pressurizes the air (making it more dense so it takes up less space) before it enters the intake manifold while a supercharger uses your vehicle accessory belt to do the same thing.
5. Install a nitrous oxide system (NOS). NOS is a highly explosive gas that is injected into the combustion chamber of your vehicle when you activate it, giving short bursts of extreme power and speed. Be careful with nitrous oxide, however, as it can damage your engine.