Laptop needing wallpaper
To make your own laptop wallpaper, you need to check your screen resolution, create the wallpaper with an image-editing program and apply it. Though the general procedure applies to all laptops, image programs and operating systems, this specific example uses Adobe Photoshop under the Windows XP operating system.
1. Click the “Start” button and double-click “Control Panel” to display the “Control Panel” window.
2. Double-click “Display” to show the “Display Properties” box.
3. Click the “Settings” tab. On the lower left is the screen resolution, which in this case is 1024 by 768 pixels. You will enter these values into the “New” dialog box of Adobe Photoshop when creating the wallpaper.
Creating the Wallpaper
4. Open your image-editing program. This example uses Adobe Photoshop.
5. Choose “New” from the “File” menu to display the “New” dialog box. Enter the screen resolution you determined earlier in the “Width” and “Height” dropdowns and choose “Pixels.” Use a “Resolution” of 72. In this example, the width is 1024 and the height is 768.
6. Click the “OK” button to display the document window.
7. Draw or import a picture into this window. You may need to re-size the picture to fit exactly into the window. In this example, a galaxy picture measuring 1920 by1744 pixels is rescaled by 60 percent.
8. Save the image at the lowest resolution possible while still maintaining good quality. This example uses the “Save for Web” option of the “File” menu. The image is saved under the name “GalaxyWallpaper.JPG” with a quality of 13. The final wallpaper file measures 16 KB.
Applying the Wallpaper
9. Click the “Start” button and double-click “Control Panel” to display the “Control Panel” window.
10. Double-click “Display” to show the “Display Properties” box.
11. Click the “Desktop” tab and then the “Browse” button to display the “Browse” dialog box.
12. Navigate to the file you want to use as a wallpaper. Double-click the file to make it appear on the small screen of the “Desktop” tab.
13. Click the “OK” button to close the dialog box and apply your picture to the laptop screen.