If you would like to make a standout multimedia project for work, school or another venue, you can do so by including a combination of pictures and video. Though pictures and videos are generally edited in separate applications, many video-editing applications accept still image files as well. If you want to mix pictures and video effectively, you can do so in a video-editing application that can work with picture files. Both Windows’ native video-editing application, Movie Maker, and Mac’s native video-editing application, iMovie, support still pictures.
Movie Maker for Windows
1. Open Windows Movie Maker by going to “Start” and “All Programs,” then clicking “Windows Movie Maker,” which appears near the top of the program list. Click the “Import Media” button to look for the files you want to incorporate in you project. To import a file, double-click it in the “Import Media” window.
2. Drag the video clips and pictures to the time line in the order in which you would like them to display. You can place the video and pictures in any order on the “Video Track.”
3. Use transitions between the video and still images on the timeline to make the switch from moving image to still image smoother. To view available transitions, click the “Tasks” button at the top of the Movie Maker screen, expand the “Edit movie” section and click the “View video transitions” link. Add the transition between a picture and video clip by dragging the transition you want from the “Video Transitions” pane to the box that appears between the clips on the timeline.
4. Close the “Video Transitions” box and press “Play” in the preview screen to play the entire project all the way through. Once you have mixed the pictures and video smoothly and effectively, go to “File” and “Publish” to save the project as a video file.
iMovie for Mac
5. Launch iMovie from the dock at the bottom of the Mac screen. Press the “Import” button and go to a folder that contains a picture or video file that you want to add. Double-click the file to add it to the project.
6. Move the pictures and the video to the time line. Arrange the clips and images so they are in the order in which you would like them to appear on the screen.
7. Add transitions to the project. To add transitions, click the “Edit” button and “Transitions” to display the transition list. Drag any transition to the time line, hover your cursor between the two clips where you want the transition to play and then drop it to add it to the project.
8. Preview the project in the preview window to make sure you are happy with the result. Go to “Share” and choose one of the export options to save the project as a video file.