Opening a Harley-Davidson dealership could be a profitable business venture.
If you have a passion for Harley-Davidson motorcycles and have been thinking about starting a business, you may want to consider opening a Harley-Davidson dealership. Opening a Harley-Davidson dealership can be a profitable business venture. According to Knol, an information sharing website, Harley-Davidson retail sales in the United States alone totaled more than 218,000 motorcycle units in 2008. Gross revenue was $4.28 billion worldwide.
1. Gain management experience working at a motorcycle dealership. If at all possible, gain your experience at a Harley-Davidson shop. This will give you the knowledge and customer-relations experience you need for working specifically with Harley-Davidson motorcycle customers.
2. Visit the official Harley-Davidson website.
3. Click on the “Company” tab from the top of the main page and select “Becoming A Dealer.” This will take you to a page that briefly explains the dealership opportunity and what you need to become a dealer.
4. Choose the “Opportunities” tab from the left-hand side of the page. This will take you to a page that has a map of the United States as well as a drop-down menu of United States regions.
5. Select a region from the map or from the drop-down menu where you want to become a Harley-Davidson dealer. You have a choice of the West, the Plains, the central states and the East to choose from. After you have clicked on your region a page will upload explaining that there are either sellout- or new dealer opportunities in the states in that region.
6. Complete the prospective dealer application. Download it from the right-hand side of the page that just uploaded. You will be required to give information about location preference, whether you will be sharing it with a partner and your percentage of ownership, and about your assets and personal finances, among other things. Submit your application along with a resume by United States Postal Service mail to the Harley-Davidson company. They will notify you within 45 days if you have been accepted as a dealer.