You do not need to take your motorcycle in to have the fob remote-programmed.
Programming a remote for your Harley-Davidson motorcycle’s alarm remote does not require a trip to your local technician, or to the Harley dealership. As long as you have the key, you can do the remote’s programming on your own. It involves a combination of setting the ignition bezel back and forth in the correct positions, pressing the turn signals and pushing the remote’s buttons at the right time. If you haven’t attempted to program your Harley’s remote yourself before, do not get flustered. With proper instruction, it can be programmed in less than five minutes of your time.
1. Turn the key in the ignition to “Off,” then complete the following steps with less than 10 second pauses in between them. The vehicle should be disarmed, which can be verified by the fact that there are no blinking lights.
2. Turn the key in the ignition to “On,” “Off,” “On,” “Off,” then back to the “On” position.
3. Press the left turn signal switch for a total of two times. Wait for the lights to blink one to three times in response, depending on the configuration of your motorcycle’s system.
4. Press the right turn signal once, release it, then wait for the signals and indicators to flash once.
5. Press the left turn signal switch, then release it. Two flashes from the signals and indicators will be seen.
6. Hold down the button on the remote that you wish to program to the transceiver until two flashes are seen coming from the signal and indicator lights on your motorcycle. You should receive this confirmation within 10 to 25 seconds. Repeat for any additional buttons at this time as well.
7. Turn the key back to “Off,” then take it out of the bezel. Your fob remote is now synced to the Harley’s transceiver system.