Your Harley-Davidson Dyna Wide Glide is equipped with a passenger backrest–or sissy bar–to provide a small degree of comfort for your favorite riding buddy on those long rides. The backrest itself is a three-piece assembly, consisting of a padded metal upright bar and a pair of side plates attached to the rear fender. While it is a fairly inconspicuous component, you may want to remove the backrest or replace it with a different backrest.
1. Unscrew the bolt closest to the rear of the motorcycle from the backrest side plates with an Allen wrench.
2. Loosen the bolt at the front of the side plates with an Allen wrench. Tilt the backrest slightly off of the rear fender supports, pivoting the backrest side plates on the loosened bolts.
3. Screw the rear bolts into the mounting holes at the end of the rear fender support with the Allen wrench.
4. Unscrew the bolts at the front of the backrest side plates with an Allen wrench. Lift the backrest, as an entire assembly, off of the rear fender supports.
5. Screw the bolts into the mounting holes on the front rear fender support with the Allen wrench.