Some models of the Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD are equipped with a cabin air filter. Starting in 2005, all 2500HDs have a redesigned air conditioning system that no longer uses a cabin filter. The procedure for replacing the filter is the same for all previous models. The cabin filter keeps dust and pollen from entering the interior of the vehicle by trapping them within the ventilation system. Chevrolet recommends replacing the filter once a year or every 10,000 miles, under normal driving conditions. The cabin filter on the 2500HD is made up of two separate filters that should be changed together.
1. Remove the three screws on the black plastic access panel on the passenger side of the dash.
2. Lift the access cover off of the dash.
3. Remove the two screws on the filter housing cover.
4. Remove the filter housing cover.
5. Pull the exposed filter straight out of the housing to remove it.
6. Slide the second filter down and pull it out of the housing.
7. Insert the first new filter into the housing. Slide the filter up to allow room for the second filter.
8. Insert the second new filter into the filter housing.
9. Replace the filter housing cover. Replace the two screws that hold the cover in place.
10. Reposition the black plastic access panel. Replace the three screws that hold the panel in position.