All JVC projection TVs display images by shining a beam of light inside the TV to convert a small picture into a larger picture. The source of this beam of light is a lamp (or “bulb”), which has a limited lifespan and must be replaced every one to two years. Although you can have the lamp replaced by an authorized JVC repair specialist, you can also replace the lamp at home by following certain steps.
1. Order a compatible replacement lamp from JVC. Order a replacement lamp from JVC’s Accessory Store or a local authorized parts distributor to ensure that you obtain a compatible replacement lamp. To order a replacement lamp, you must have the lamp type and lamp code of your JVC projection TV, which can be found on the rear of the television.
2. Turn off the television and allow the bulb to cool. For safety reasons, turn off and unplug your television before accessing any of its internal components. Wait at least 20 minutes before attempting to replace the lamp so that it has time to cool down. If the back of the television is not warm or hot to the touch, it is safe to begin removing the lamp.
3. Unscrew and remove the lamp door. The lamp door on JVC projection TVs is located on the rear left of the television and is shaped like a square. Several warnings related to the lamp will be printed on the door. Use a Phillips-head or flathead screwdriver to remove the large screw, then remove the door.
4. Unscrew and remove the lamp assembly unit. After you have removed the lamp door, you will see the lamp assembly unit. Use a Phillips-head screwdriver to remove the two screws. One screw is on the top right corner of the unit and the second screw is on the bottom left corner of the unit. Detach the lamp assembly unit from the compartment by lifting the handle and pulling the unit away from the television.
5. Install the replacement lamp and secure the lamp door. Hold the replacement lamp assembly unit by the handle and insert it straight into the compartment. Reinsert and tighten the two screws onto the lamp assembly unit with a screwdriver. Place the lamp door back onto the television and tighten the screw to secure it to the television.
6. Reset the television’s lamp timer. Press “Menu” on the television’s remote, then scroll to and select “Lamp Timer Reset.” Press “OK” to rest the timer. A prompt will appear notifying you that the timer has successfully been reset.