The Sportster has six light bulbs. It has two marker lights that double as turn signals in the front, two marker lights that double as turn signals in the rear, a brake light in the rear and a headlight in the front. The four marker lights and the brake light all require the same process for replacement, whereas the halogen headlight in the front requires a different process.
Marker Lights and Brake light
1. Locate the screw on the bottom of the light lens and remove it using a small Phillip’s screwdriver.
2. Pull the lens off the front of the light housing. If the lens sticks inside the housing, place the bent portion of a small Allen wrench into the hole used for the screw and pull the lens off using the Allen wrench for leverage.
3. Pull the bulb out of the light socket and press the new bulb into the socket.
4. Place the lens back onto the light housing and secure it using the screw and screwdriver.
5. Locate the wires that extend out of the bottom of the halogen bulb housing and unplug the wiring harness connected to the wires.
6. Locate the two mounting bolts that secure the halogen light to the front fork. Depending on the model of Sportster you own, the bolts are Allen-head or hex-head. Use an Allen-wrench for Allen head bolts or use a socket and ratchet for Hex-head bolts.
7. Pull the light off the front fork and place the new halogen light housing onto the front fork. Secure it using the two bolts, Allen wrench or Socket and ratchet.
8. Plug the wiring harness back in.