When you hear a rapid ticking sound coming from the engine, there is an issue with the rocker arms. More often than not, the ticking sound occurs because of low engine oil levels. If you check the oil and the ticking sound persists, then chances are you are having an issue with one or more of the rocker arms, and you need to replace the ones that are having an issue. It does not take very ling to replace a rocker arm and you can complete the project in your driveway.
1. Open the engine compartment of the automobile and disconnect the negative battery cable. Snap the lid off the air cleaner assembly and remove the air filter. Remove the retaining nuts with a socket and ratchet and lift the assembly from the engine. Label each of the spark plug wires using the marker and masking tape noting the proper location of each.
2. Grasp the spark plug wire by the boot and pull each wire from the spark plug. Do not pull by the wire or you will damage it. Remove the wires from the organizing clips and out of your way. Unhook the throttle cables from the throttle body. Remove the cable bracket from the intake plenum using a wrench and position it out of the way.
3. Remove the bolts from the valve cover using a socket and ratchet. Lift the valve cover away from the cylinder head. Remove the nuts from the affected rocker arms using a socket and ratchet. Remove the ball and rocker arms from the cylinder head. Remove the valve cover gasket and discard it. Clean any remaining material away with the scraper.
4. Install the new rocker arms and torque the nuts to 22 foot pounds with the torque wrench. Install a new valve cover gasket on the cylinder head. Place the valve cover over the new gasket. Install the bolts and tighten them with the socket and ratchet. Install the throttle cable bracket to the intake plenum and tighten it with a wrench.
5. Hook the throttle cables to the throttle body. Plug each spark plug wire onto the proper spark plug according to the labels you made when removing them. Push each wire on by the boot until you feel it snap into place. Connect the spark plug wires to the organizing clips.
6. Place the air cleaner on the engine and secure it by tightening the nuts with a wrench. Place the air filter into the casing and snap the lid into place. Connect the negative battery cable and tighten the terminal nut with a wrench.