Reset a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300
The Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 is a digital cable DVR box. Occasionally, the box will need to be reset to restore it to proper functioning. Performing a “hard reset” will also refresh any software on the DVR by retrieving and installing updates from the cable provider. The reset process for the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 may take up to ten minutes.
1. Press and hold the “Power” button on the front of the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 to turn the box off. Wait at least five seconds before proceeding with the reset.
2. Unplug the power cord from the back of the box. Wait another five seconds.
3. Press and hold the “Power” button on the front of the box.
4. Plug the power cord into the back of the box while the “Power” button is depressed.
5. Hold the “Power” button down until the word “boot” appears on the DVR LCD screen or the unit begins to cycle and the cycling image appears on the LCD screen. The boot or cycling screen will appear within approximately 15 seconds. Allow the box to boot completely up. When the time (or channel) shows in the LCD display on the box, the machine has been reset.