Restore leather saddlebags with a wipe-on conditioner.
Leather motorcycle saddlebags receive a beating from dust and dirt from the open road, and the sun’s rays dry out the leather. Leather is tough and can withstand brutal conditions, but it also needs moisturizing to restore its dry and cracked surface. Restoring leather is easy when you know the proper procedure.
1. Remove the saddlebags from the motorcycle and take out all items inside the bags.
2. Dampen a clean cloth and wipe any dust and dirt from the saddlebags. Make sure the cloth is damp, not wet. Clean deep around any fixtures on the saddlebags where dirt can hide in the leather.
3. Apply a leather cleaner onto a clean, damp rag and rub onto the leather sandbags. Allow the cleaner to sit on the bag for five minutes or however long the instructions advise.
4. Remove the leather cleaner with a clean, damp cloth, making sure to remove all the cleaner’s soapy residue.
5. Spray a leather conditioner on the saddlebags after cleaning. Spray conditioner on one section of the bag and wipe off with a clean, soft cloth. Continue spraying one section at a time and drying off until you have covered the entire bag. The conditioner adds moisture to the leather, providing shine and suppleness.