The PlayStation 3 console allows you to play games and watch movies in high definition modes such as 720i, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. However, these modes are not available with the AV cable that comes with your PS3, so link your HDTV and your PS3 with an HDMI, or High Definition Multimedia Interface, cable to get high definition images.
1. Remove all power cables running to your HDTV and PS3.
2. Connect one end of the HDMI cable into the HDMI slot on the back of your PS3.
3. Connect the other end of the HDMI cable into the HDMI slot on your HDTV. Refer to your HDTV’s user manual to find out the location of the HDMI slot.
4. Reconnect all power cables running to your HDTV and PS3.
5. Turn on your PS3 and wait for it to boot up.
6. Select the “Settings” option on your PS3’s XrossMediaBar, then select “Display Settings,” “Video Output Settings,” “HDMI” and “Automatic.” Your PS3 now automatically selects the appropriate high definition mode for your HDTV.