The right size shoes are essential for all runners.
Finding the right size shoes is very important for runners. According to the Dick’s Sporting Goods Running Shoe Buying Guide, both serious marathon runners and casual weekend runners need to a have the right fit for their feet to ensure running stays an enjoyable activity and not a painful, frustrating experience. Nike is a very popular brand of shoes that offers many style and fits for running shoes. No matter what your size, you should be able to find a comfortable Nike running shoe.
1. Determine your arch to find out if you need specially designed Nike running shoes, which are usually less available in stores. Get your feet wet, and step on a piece of paper. The mark left behind can help you determine your arch. If you see almost your whole foot, you’re low-arched or flat-footed. If you see some of your foot, you have a neutral arch. If you see mostly the top and bottom of your foot, you have a high arch.
2. Visit a shoe store that sells Nike running shoes. Nike is a popular brand, and most athletic stores should sell Nike shoes.
3. Ask a salesperson to measure the length and width of your foot using a Brannock Device. In some stores, you may be able to use this device yourself. Place your foot in the device with your heel all the way at the bottom. There will be a measurement in inches at the tops of your toes. This is your length. Slide the metal pieces on the sides against your foot. This measurement is your width.
4. Try on Nike shoes that are appropriate for your arch, length and width. For the right length, make sure there is at least a thumbnail’s length of space between your longest toe and the top of the inside of the running shoe. For the right arch and width, pay attention to the shoe’s description on the box. The description will include words like “high-arching” or “wide” to show that the shoes are designed for a specific type of foot. Consult the salesperson during this process and tell him your foot type. He will be able to direct you to the right options on the wall.
5. Visit Nike’s website if you have a less common shoe size, such as a size 15, and can’t find it in stores. The website will also allow you to enter your arch, length and width and give you a selection of running shoes to choose from. Even if you’re not buying from the website, you can use the options you find to increase your knowledge base before you visit a store.