As the largest member of the Harley-Davidson family, an Ultra Classic can be an imposing machine to a new motorcycle rider. Starting an Ultra Classic and waking its motor is a fairly simple task, despite its collection of switches and buttons. Although there are a few differences between the fuel-injected and carbureted models, the differences in the starting procedure take very little time.
1. Sit on your Ultra Classic, and lift if off of its kick stand. Unlock the ignition switch on the handlebars, using the ignition key, then turn the switch to the right to activate the motorcycle’s electrical system.
2. Reach under the left side of the fuel tank, and turn the fuel valve to the “On” position if your Ultra Classic is carbureted.
3. Look at your Ultra Classic‘s dashboard, and check that the green neutral indicator is illuminated. If it is not illuminated, press down on the shift lever repeatedly until the neutral indicator illuminates.
4. Flip the kill switch on the right handlebar into the “Run” position, using your right thumb. Wait for the fuel pump to prime (fuel-injected models only), indicated by a slight hum.
5. Pull in the clutch lever with your left hand, and press the starter button on the right handlebar with your thumb.
6. Release the clutch lever slowly once the motor has started.