Transfer camcorder video to a Mac using iMovie.
The quality of home video has never been better. An HD camcorder makes preserving priceless memories easy. Whether your camcorder uses Mini-DV tapes or records directly to a memory card, you need to know get the video on your computer. You can then use your computer to edit and export the video to a variety of formats. As a Mac owner, Mac OS X includes an application designed to import and edit video recorded on your HD camcorder.
HDV Camcorders That Use Mini-DV Tapes
1. Download and install the latest version of iMovie.
2. Connect the camcorder to your Mac using a Firewire cable.
3. Insert the Mini-DV tape and turn on the camcorder in the “VCR” mode.
4. Open iMovie. The program will detect the camcorder and open the Import window.
5. Drag the capture mode switch with your mouse to the left “Camera” position. The capture mode switch is to the left of the tape transport controls towards the bottom of the Import window.
6. Press the “Play” icon from the transport controls to begin playing the video tape in your camcorder.
7. Click the “Import” button in the video window to begin transferring the video from your HD camcorder to the Mac. Use iMovie to edit and export the video to your preferred format.
HD Camcorders That Use Flash Memory
8. Download and install the latest version of iMovie.
9. Connect the camcorder to your Mac using a USB cable.
10. Open iMovie. The program will detect the camcorder and open the Import window. The Import window will automatically display thumbnails of available video clips.
11. Click the “Import All” button to transfer the clips to your computer.