Transport A Vehicle Import In Canada

Import your car to Canada by meeting both U.S. and Canadian requirements.

If you’re moving to Canada and want to bring your vehicle with you, that can probably be done if you meet certain requirements. Both the U.S. and Canada place restrictions on vehicles moving between the two countries.


1. Check if the car meets the requirements set by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and Transport Canada’s Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV). RIV ensures that cars imported from the U.S. meet Canadian safety standards. You can find a list of approved vehicles, exemptions, and other requirements on the RIV website. (See References 2 and 3)

2. Collect the original certificate of title for the vehicle and other required documents, and present them at least 72 hours before exportation to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) office, which is part the of Department of Homeland Security. Then present the vehicle to U.S. Customs at the port of exportation. (See References 1 and 2)

3. Bring the car to Canada and pay the applicable duties and taxes on the vehicle. Generally, you don’t have to pay duty if you import the vehicle for personal use and it was manufactured in the U.S., Canada, or Mexico. (See References 2)

4. Register your car in Canada’s RIV program. You have 45 days to get RIV to inspect your vehicle and make any required changes so that it can be operated according to Canadian standards. (See References 2 and 3)

5. Contact the transport authority in your province or territory to license your vehicle. (See References 3)