Upgrade the Memory in a HP Pavilion DV6000 Laptop
If your HP Pavilion DV6000 laptop is having a hard time keeping up with your needs it may be time to upgrade the memory. Follow these simple steps to easily upgrade the memory yourself.
1. Buy the correct memory needed to upgrade your HP Pavilion DV6000. You will need 200 pin SODIMM DDR2 667 PC2-5300 memory. The HP Pavilion DV6000 has 2 memory card slots. The maximum memory you will be able to install is 2 GB (1 GB per slot) according to HP, although some have reported installing 2 GB per slot. In this case a 32 bit version of windows (XP or Vista) will only recognize 3GB.
I played it safe with this upgrade, upgrading to 2 GB. The upgrade provided a nice boost in performance with video processing and other memory demanding applications, compared to 1 GB of memory.
2. Unplug the power cord from your HP Pavilion laptop. Remove the laptop battery from the back of the computer. This will eliminate the chance of power damage to your computer.
3. Ground yourself by touching a metal object or touch your screwdriver on the ground while touching part of the metal. Unscrew the two screws circled in the Step 3 photo. Using a small Phillips head screwdriver turn the screws counter-clockwise until they are completely loosened. The screws will not fall out.
4. Once the screws are loose, remove the back cover of the laptop memory panel.
5. There are two clips on each side of each memory card. Starting with the top memory slot, push the clips on each side outwards to release the card.
6. Rotate the card towards the battery compartment to release the memory card. Take the card out and put it aside. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for the second memory card.
7. Install the new memory starting with the last card slot you took out. Slide the memory card into the SODIMM slot and rotate down to click into the slide clamps. Repeat for the top card until both cards are installed.
8. Put the back cover on by tightening the two screws. Put the battery back in the laptop and install the power cord. When you turn on the laptop it will automatically recognize your new memory.
You can go to the control panel in windows, then system properties to check the amount of memory installed in your HP Pavilion DV6000 laptop.