The Harley Davidson Sportster 1200C is one of the most popular models sold by the Harley Corporation in the United States. In addition to its lightweight design and easy to handle construction, the Sportster is also a favorite among riders who prefer to perform maintenance at home. Temperate climates can have an adverse effect on a motorcycle’s starting system. Getting the motorcycle ready for winter is one of the areas of maintenance that can be performed by the owner to keep the motorcycle in riding condition, even during the winter months.
1. Remove the battery cover from the left side of motorcycle. Use a flat head screwdriver if the cover does not separate from both the left and right mounting clips.
2. Locate the negative battery ground stud on the crankcase housing on the left side of motorcycle. Use a Brillo pad to remove any dirt or corrosion from the stud. Attach the negative cable from the battery tender to the stud.
3. Locate the positive battery terminal on the battery. Use the Brillo pad to clear any dirt or corrosion from the terminal if needed. Connect the positive cable from the battery tender to the positive battery terminal.
4. Plug the battery tender into a wall outlet. Set the tender to the required settings, as instructed in the battery tender owner’s manual. The settings will vary depending on the battery’s condition.
5. Turn on the battery tender and allow the battery to charge. Charging time can be as little as 15 minutes, or as long as three hours. Most tenders will have three LED lights: red, yellow and green. When the LED is green, the battery is at full charge.