Use External Esata Drives With Tivo HD
A TiVo HD is a digital video recording (DVR) device that allows you to record television programming without the use of videotape, optical disc or another removable media. Television programming is stored on the device’s hard drive which is similar to a computer’s hard drive. TiVo HD DVRs are self-contained units compatible with a variety of cable and satellite television services. Like computers, you can expand the TiVo HD’s storage capacity by adding an external eSATA drive.
1. Turn off your TiVo HD. Unplug the device’s power cord from the electrical outlet. Turn the TiVo HD around so the back of the device is facing you.
2. Connect one end of an eSATA hard drive connection cable to the port on the back of the TiVo HD labeled “eSATA.” Press the cable into the port firmly. Place the external eSATA drive next to the TiVo HD. Do not place the hard drive on top or underneath the TiVo HD, the heat from the hard drive will affect your TiVo HD unit.
3. Connect the other end of the eSATA hard drive connection cable to the port on the back of the external eSATA drive. Press the cable into the port firmly.
4. Plug the eSATA hard drive’s power cord into a electrical outlet. Plug the TiVo HD’s power cord into the electrical outlet.
5. Turn on the external eSATA hard drive‘s power first. The hard drive will boot up. You will hear clicking sounds. Turn on your television and TiVo HD unit. The TiVo HD device will boot up. Use the TiVo HD’s arrow keys to navigate the TiVo Central screen.
6. Select “Messages & Settings.” Navigate to “Remote & Device Settings.” Select “External Storage.” Select “Yes, set up this device” on the “External Storage” screen. Press the thumbs-down button on the remote control three times.
7. Start using your TiVo HD once you receive a message about the external eSATA hard drive’s setup being complete.