Motorcycles come equipped with a set of standard exhaust pipes. After-market pipes — designed to improve performance and create a louder, deeper sound — are an inexpensive addition to the stock exhaust system. After-market exhaust systems vary in price and quality. The Vance & Hines Double Barrel exhaust system redirects the exhaust out the right side of the motorcycle — one pipe on top of the other.
1. Uninstall the stock exhaust system from your motorcycle according to your owner’s manual.
2. Remove the heat shields and header from the packaging and carefully place on a soft rag or towel. With a felt tip pen, mark the locations on the outside of the heat shields where the hose clamps with loop through the mounting clips.
3. Install the heat shields by sliding them onto the header assembly. Connect the heat shields to the assembly with the hose clamps — #20 for header pipes and #28 for the mufflers. Tighten the screws in the clamps with a screwdriver. Ensure the heads of the screws are accessible for later adjustment of the exhaust system.
4. Slide the exhaust port flange onto the head pipe. Then install the circlip by hand from the stock exhaust system previously removed.
5. Fasten the supplied mounting bracket using four flange bolts and tighten with a wrench. Attach the supplied nut plates by sliding them into the brackets on the back of each muffler. Do not tighten.
6. Install the exhaust system into the rear exhaust port and then the front. Attach the exhaust bracket — with the supplied flange bolts — to the lower frame rail on the right side of the motorcycle. Do not tighten the flange bolts.
7. Tighten the flange bolts on the exhaust port and mounting bracket bolts with a wrench.
8. Slide the heat shields for the muffler onto the body. The heat shield stamped with the ‘Vance & Hines’ logo should be on the top muffler. To ensure evenness of the heat shields, ensure the shields extend approximately ½-inch past the mufflers.
9. Tighten all hose clamps with a screwdriver. Ensure evenness of heat shields when tightening.